-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Payne [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 1999 9:30
To: Ozmidwifery

Dear all on the list.   Sent this in regard to John Hunter - what a
travesty!!

Choices for Childbirth
Robin Payne
84 Heller Street
West Brunswick 3055

12.8.99

Professor W. Walters
Chairman, Division of Obstetrics & Gynaecology
John Hunter Hospital
Locked Bag no1
Hunter Region Mail Centre
NSW 2301

Dear Professor Walters

I run a consumer information group enabling women to make informed choices
about their care during pregnancy and labor. I am also a member of the
Maternity Coalition Inc. I have enclosed some material outlining the
activities of both of these organisations. Whilst we are Victorian based, we
continually look Australia-wide towards evidence of best practice in
maternity care to which others may aspire.
I was deeply shocked to hear of the intended suspension of the Hunter Team
Midwifery Program.
It was encouraging to know that Hunter Health had obviously heeded the
research that shows that midwifery models of care are safer, more effective
and offer greater satisfaction to women than other obstetrically led models
of care. The Hospital is to be applauded in having taken the great step
forward in providing such a valuable model of care to women.
How can the intended suspension of the program possibly be justified? It
cannot be justified on the grounds of safety as midwifery models of care
have been shown through volumes of research to be the safest models of care.

It cannot be justified on the grounds of economic efficiency because
midwifery care based on a wellness approach to pregnancy and labor have been
shown to be cheaper without compromising effective care or safety.
It cannot be on the grounds of women's dissatisfaction because midwifery
models of care have been shown to provide the greatest satisfaction with
care by pregnant and labouring women.

On what grounds then is the intended suspension of the Team Midwifery
program based? One must remain cynical about the suspension being only until
finances improve as any model of care that will operate in its place is
likely to be more costly and less efficient than the one its replacing!
I look forward to hearing from you. Please acknowledge receipt of my letter.
Yours sincerely

Robin Payne
Choices for Childbirth