Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 11:53 PM
Subject: Guthries at the breast

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody out there is aware of any information on performing guthries on the babies whilst they are at the breast.  I read about it on this list about six or so months ago and have been doing them this way ever since.  However, when trying to introduce the idea to the ward, several of my colleagues are concerned the baby may aspirate if sucking whilst stabbed. This has certainly never happened to me and if anything I find the baby bearly knows it is happening, is more relaxed and the blood flows more freely.  I also believe the mothers are more content with this method (as am I!!!!!!).
What are your thoughts on this and have you any information out there that I can utilise.

Thankyou

Tracy