Anne,

I cannot speak for other midwives who are members of the ANF (Vic branch) but I continued my membership (albeit reluctantly) purely for the insurance benefits.
As midwives are still classified as nurses by the Nurses Board of Victoria, we are entitled to same benefits as the nurses. Until Aug 31st, a benefit of ANF (Vic branch) membership was that all its members (nurses and midwives) were covered by professional indemnity and public liability insurance and legal benefits for a relatively low cost. As of Sept 1st however, independently practising midwives will not be covered for PI & PL insurance, although hospital employed midwives will continue to be.
Regards,
Andrea Bilcliff.