Dear Andrea and all,

That might be well and good that most Midwives are members of the ANF in Victoria, but do they realise that the ANF is taking a Nursing perspective not a Midwives perspective while so called 'representing' them to the Gov.?

I would hope that ANF member Midwives are clued into this and get involved because it sounds that their membership to the ANF is not worth the money if the ANF is flushing their practice down the toilet!

As far as the insurance cover, do they know that NO union covers their members for indemnity only legal?

If the Nurses Union here in Queensland covered me for the indemnity part of insurance I too would be happy, but they don't, only limited legal cover.  The hospital, if a staff member, covers for indemnity, that's if they don't drop you like a hot potato in court, beleive me if it means you or them, who do you think they would leave 'holding the proverbial bag'. The legal cover you may gain from the union may help to a point in court (hearing), but the person(s) taking the action can still take you to civil court.

If the ANF have asked you to participate, I would hope that you would make them realise that they have members who are Midwives not Nurses and to have an arm of Midwives (that practice Midwifery mind you) that deal with members issues that pertain to Midwives.

Midwives who are members of the ANF in Victoria should be up in arms about the ANF discussing Midwifery issues that they (ANF) OBVIOUSLY do not understand or they wouldn't have negotiated or suggested such ludicrous mother/midwife ratio's.

Put them right Andrea and our Victorian Colleagues NOW NOW NOW.

Anne Clarke
Brisbane