Interesting stuff Rhonda. Preeclampsia is one of those issues in pregnancy
and birth where care givers preexisting notions as to its origins definetly
affects their care. If you look it up  in medline data bases etc. (as I am
sure you have) some researchers chase diet, others genetics and so on. They
all seem to agree that it is possibly some underlying problem with placental
implantation probably at the trophoblast stage. These problems have been
linked to immune responses and also to familial/genetic tendencies. But like
everything in this disorder, not always. Which allows some caregivers
(midwives as well as OB's) to chase their own theory around.

Anyway, I think handing down familial tendencies in prenancy and birth is an
invaluable source of knowledge for our daughters. My own grandmother birthed
her 5 children at home in the bush some miles out from Mareeba in the far
north. Her doctor and midwife rode out for the births, only the first in a
normal position, the others were 2 breeches, one sunnyside up, and the last
my mother, was a transverse lie who was pulled out footling. And they all did
just fine. Nanna must have had a roomy pelvis. Anyway my mother  just had me,
normal position, but of my three girls the first was OP/sunnyside up, the
second breech, and my third was OA normal position. So, I think there is a
bit of a familial tendency there. Amazingly enough I didn't have unusual
labours with any of my babies, they were efficient and progressed quite
nicely, it was just a little tricky at the end and I am sure it was the same
with my grandmother.
Regards, marilyn