Just thought this might be of interest for some of the listers.

Reuters Medical News - for the Professional
'Assigned Week of Delivery' More Practical Than Obstetric Due Date

WESTPORT, CT (Reuters Health) Nov 30 - An "assigned week of delivery," determined through clinician skill and training, should replace the arbitrarily calculated due date, physicians in Eugene, Oregon, recommend.

In the December issue of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Dr. Vern L. Katz and colleagues from Sacred Heart Medical Center note that physicians use dating to see how far a patient has progressed. In contrast, women use it to set expectations about a definite point in time when they will deliver, and many feel anxious if the date is exceeded. "In our culture, being overdue is not a desirable quality," the authors point out.

They add that the due date, never empirically established, "was derived by a 17th century botanist, Booerhave, who read in the Bible that pregnancy should last 10 lunar months."

The team proposes that patients be given an assigned week of delivery at 32 weeks' gestation, individualized for each clinical situation. For most pregnancies, the assigned week of delivery might be between 39.5 and 40.5 weeks' gestation, while a patient with twins would likely be given a week corresponding to 38 weeks' gestation and a primipara might receive a prediction of 40 to 41 weeks' gestation.

The result would be that approximately 95% of all births would take place during the assigned week, Dr. Katz and his associates predict, improving both obstetric practice and patient satisfaction.

"The problem is that the term 'due date' has caused tremendous anxiety and tension over the last 3 decades because to patients, the concept of being 'overdue' has such a terrible connotation," Dr. Katz told Reuters Health.

"Plus, we clinicians literally spend more time explaining why a person isn't really due on their due date than we spend on testing for AIDS, neural tube defects, and high blood sugars, and explaining what labor is like," he added.

He noted that this model has worked well for him and his co-workers. "I think that the paradigm will catch on, and that physicians and nurse practitioners will work harder and harder to get rid of the 'due date' concept," Dr. Katz predicted. "However, some may prefer to offer a 10-day window or a 5-day window, depending on the kinds of patients they see in their practices."

Obstet Gynecol 2001;98:1127-1129.

Jo Bainbridge
founding member CARES SA
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]