Firstly, I apologise to everybody for failing to mention my living area.  I
thought I sent another email following that one when I got the first "Where
do you live?" email response, but I mustn't have sent it.   I actually live
in Ipswich, which is near (?!) Brisbane.   I would be seeking someone in
Brisbane City.

Ah Joy.  Where do I start?

With my previous pregnancy, I had 'problems' with high blood pressure,
though it never got so high that it required attention.  I began going to
the ante-natal clinic at the Royal Women's Hospital in Brisbane at 12 weeks
and seemed fine until approx 16 weeks when my blood pressure began to rise.
I think from memory that the highest it ever got was 155/95, which I have
heard isn't great, but isn't a horrid case.

I began the ritual of fortnightly appointments, where I had to see both an
Obstetrician AND a Physician (a little old man who never failed to say, "I
don't know why we keep seeing you - I'm not particularly worried about your
BP... better make another appointment for two weeks time..."   The
Obstetrician that was assigned to me (or was I assigned to him?) seemed to
think that the baby was a bit on the small side (he was, but not anything
unusual) and sent me for regular ultrasounds.  I think I ended up having 6
including my routine 18 week scan.  While this was fascinating to watch the
baby grow, I couldn't kick the feeling that I was being 'overwatched.'    In
the end, the OB changed his tune to "I think there isn't enough fluid...
better send you for a scan..." And of course, there was plenty of fluid.
"But," said the radiologist, "the baby is a bit on the small side..."  How
ironic.

To cut a HUGE story (and such a wonderful one) short, Joshua James was
induced when I was one week overdue.   I was 100% sure of my due date,
however, the registrar OB booked me in for the induction as soon as I hit my
due date.    Fortunately for me, the induction worked first time and as I
said in my previous email (I think...) labour and delivery went without a
hitch.  I was so happy with the way things turned out.

I have to admit, I do not feel intimidated by a hospital environment, and I
suppose my previous experience draws me back to the place I went before.
Blindly hoping for a repeat performance, I suppose.  Only this time I don't
want to feel so... public.  I suppose that I feel that as a private patient,
I would have more courage to be more demanding if I wasn't happy with
anything.  I wanted the choice to see the same person every single time
instead of rotating between the OB and his registrar's.

Why an OB instead of a midwife?  The impression that I have received through
reading and from conversation is that if I were to choose a Midwife to
assist at home, I would not be able to claim money back from my health
insurance company.  Is this correct, or am I mistaken?  I currently have
private health insurance with Medibank Private.  Psychologically, I see the
insurance as giving me a demandable choice that I would not feel confident I
could make in the public system.

I know what I want and I am quite scared about it all, to tell you the
truth.  I know that things don't always go as planned, and I think I try to
plan too much.

There are so many thing that I want to say, but I don't want to bore you all
(this is already long enough).

Oh well...
Thanks to you all,
Kirsty.
AND PS... I cheat - this email address is my husband's - he attends
University of Queensland to study p/t commerce!  I think that it's more my
email address now than his - I just end up forwarding his emails to him at
his work!!