Jo

Newborn babies have a very high Haemoglobin (the types of cells that carrry
oxygen and that some women will take iron to increase the level of during
pregnancy). These cells carry oxygen around the body. This gives babies a
much greater capacity to be without oxygen. In newborns it is believed to be
about 8 minutes, compared to children and adults who only have 3 minutes,
allowing unborn babies to 'share' oxygen breathed in by their mother when
growing in the womb.

For example, When doing a breech, the baby's cord becomes compressed after
the birth of the baby's body, as the cord passes up past the baby's head and
becomes compressed between the baby's head and the mother's pelvis.
Caregivers aim to have the baby fully born within 8 minutes (although
shorter if possible).

Babies lose this ability within days of the birth. As the 'excess'
haemoglobin is naturally broken down by the baby's body. This process causes
the production of 'bilirubin', causing mild jaundice in up to 50% of babies
from days 2 to 5 after the birth.

With all this in mind, it is probable that the baby is fine. Many babies are
'slow' to respond due to a range of factors (fast birth, cord tightly around
the baby's neck. or needing to be cut by the practitioner before the baby's
body is born, difficult birth of shoulders). However, some babies start to
become 'deprived' of oxygen during the birh process and become distressed
before the birth (with lower heart rates, and meconium in the waters, or
occassionally no signs at all)...meaning that their their '8 minute'
capacity is diminished. This is possible, but less likely and with all these
things time always tells, with how the baby grows and reaches milestones etc
in childhood years.

Hope this helps

Cath Price
Midwife
For all the latest information on pregnancy, birth and early parenting,
subscribe to www.birth.com.au
[EMAIL PROTECTED]