The context of my email the other day was to highlight the problems of midwives and nurses who are willing to work in an agency capacity and are faced with a reduction in their workload because of "hospital cutbacks". The agency I work for provides me with much contact...numerous phone calls to me throughout the week, a cafe where I can obtain food and drink at no cost (this gives me the opportunity to catch up with fellow midwives and nurses I have worked with in the past who are also employed by this same agency), and  a uniform that is appropriate for the work that I do also at no cost to me. They are also available from 5:30am till approx. 2230hrs. per day for any advice and support I require.They also provide me with a weekly income, study days and any information I wish to access to further my career.

They are a central service that provides staff to a large number of hospitals seven days a week and as far as I am concerned like all businesses entitled to a degree of remuneration for their availability. Given that they have requests from hospitals for 100's of shifts per week I would say their need is much warranted.
Jenny