There are always rip off merchants out there Macha :-(  and I'm sorry about your husband's experience.  I think on the whole, agencies provide a good service.  In years past when I've used agencies to work temp or to go on to permanent positions, they have negotiated very good terms and wages that I wouldn't have gotten by myself.

About using a cleaner to interview a prospective employer - I WISH it were so easy!!!!  I would gladly give it to anyone that could do it with good results.  Unfortunately in my case I don't find it easy at all and I'm sorry to say it but a lot of lies and deceit come forth in these interviews.

Jayne

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 23, 2002 10:54 PM
Subject: RE: agency work

In the case of my husband, he worked through the one agency for a little over 2 years...we'll say 2 years.  In that time, he earned about $90,000, which is about $860 a week, about $170 a day, and about $21 per hour...all before tax.  It was revealed that the agency were charging the company $50 per hour for his services.  So, the agency were getting $1160 per week, or $60,320 per year.  The only contact my husband had with the agency was about one phone call per 6 months, a pay slip each week, 2 group certificates and one interview.  For that, they made $120,000 over 2 years!!!!  I don't know about anyone else, but that seems ridiculous to me!!!  If the hospital can't find someone to interview a prospective employee (even the cleaner could do it), and save themselves that much money, there has got to be something wrong with the system!!!  I am all for hospitals having their own nurse banks, no change to the employee's wages.