One of the hospitals that I am actually conducting research is Liverpool
Hospital.  I have not commenced the field work as of yet- but it should be
happening by next month.  My interaction with midwives/obstetricians and
the women should cast light on some of the questions that you have
raised.  I have spoken at length with an individual who works within the
hospital, she did state that the midwives were unhappy about the closure-
but did not speak about any form of protest from the community or the
midwives.  I have also conducted searches within newspaper archives to shed
light on this situation- but to date I have found nothing.  As my research
continues I will be happy to discuss my findings.

Take Care
Alphia