It is suppose to be our life style. Too much sitting around.  My last baby was ol to oa and rotated around to op during labour and got stuck.. Awful feeling, as if I had a piece of 4x2 up there.  Anyway a gentle keillands rotation, and she just about fell out.  Where I did my mid the obests. would often do a rotation and then let the babies birth naturally.  I don't think it's my pelvis 'cause the boys were oa,s.  But no. 1, another girl, was also an op.--Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Jo & Dean Bainbridge
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 9:04 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ozmidwifery] OP babies

I have a question that will probably be seen as a silly one to some (but remember I am a consumer so it is my right to ask silly questions!)  If one of the main reasons for cs is failure to progress and fetal malpresentation AND a common factor with both these 'reasons' is a baby that is persistently in OP ... why doesn't anyone do anything to correct this before labour?  I know a large portion of bubs are OP then turn during labour; but it seems like we have found that it is easier to deal with it by cs or forceps rotation...why is it we don't try to avoid the situation altogether?
Very few women I have encountered were even aware of the term OP or what the whole OP presentation involves (longer labours more interventions etc). Why do we pregnant mums not get told during ante-natal check ups what position bubs in?  Why doesn't anyone check when labour commences?
I am aware of the optimal presentation booklet and now try to encourage all women I come across to be aware of their posture and to try swimming and sitting in positions as well as vertical positioning during labour that will encourage bub to be OA ....but this is AFTER I had a cs for failure to progress (8cm and stalled for 2 hours no fetal distress- due to having a monitor on and being made to be supine...no wonder bub did not turn himself!)
I am curious why this seems to be something that is ignored by mainstream but something that plays a major role in how birth results as cs or ivd??
can anyone shed some light??
Jo Bainbridge
founding member CARES SA
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]