In a message dated 8/16/02 2:12:34 PM W. Australia Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Please excuse my ignorance but what is CJD?

Creutzfeld Jacob disease - a human spongiform encephalopathy (sp?).  i.e. "mad human disease" - human form of BSE.  There is a spontaneous form and what's called "new variant CJD - nvCJD", which happens in younger people, and is postulated is a result of people eating BSE infected meat.

As a pom who was around at the height of the BSE crisis, I am, according to some people (including the Australian Red Cross who don't want my blood), a walking time bomb potentially carrying the disease.  It is a horrible way to go - having seen some TV footage of how it can effect people.

Debbie Slater
Perth, WA