Hello everybody:

My name is Ricardo Herbert Jones
I am an obstetrician from Brasil, and had the pleasure of meeting Andrea Robertson this year in a Congress about Humanization of Childbirth in São Paulo, Brasil.
As an obstetrician I would like to share experiences with midwives and doulas all around the world, because I think that humanization of birth is an issue that has to do with every single person in this planet. Even thou only women deliver babies (yet - who knows where the tecnocratic paradygm will takes us?) all of us were once born, and lived during a limited time in a woman´s womb. Were we rescued from there by doctors and eletronic devices or were we cherished by mom´s tender body till we entered this world? These are different ways of looking to the same event. As I grew old (I am 43 now, and work with births from 20 years) I learned that women shall be treated with caress and gentleness. Birth in our tecnocratic society is seen as a mechanic phenomenon, and doctors usually see their patients as objects, and not as persons and subjects. That´s a terrible thing, because it´s a human´s right problem.
I am one of the leaders of Rehuna (Humanization of Childbirth Network - Brasil) and our struggle now is to empower women in their decisions about chilbirth and force the government area to humanize the assistance to women in the public hospitals. The first step is a doula project, called "Friends in Light", to graduate doulas and doula trainners in Rio de Janeiro.
Ok, as u can see my english is not quite well, and I love to talk too much...
Hope I can get good advices from you all.

Ricardo Herbert Jones
Ob/Gyn and Homeopath
Porto Alegre - Brasil

Ricardo Herbert Jones