Sent: Sunday, October 06, 2002 7:46 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Canberra Birth Centre?

Hi Leanne,
I would be very interested in learning more about your primary midwifery model. I work in a tertiary referral hospital in Sydney and as a consequence of the GMT2 thing going on here we have been asked by the  Area Stream Director (a gynaecologist who has no connection in any way with obstetric practice) to develop proposals for midwifery led care. I feel quite out of my depth and though I'm on the committee I don't feel as if I can contribute much. It would be great to see how others have instituted such models. We have a long-standing Team Midwifery program but its long hours of rostering don't make it a  viable proposition for most of our midwives. Not all of us are able to make ourselves available for 12 hour on call shifts etc. There must be other models running though, I'd love to hear how yours works, especially as a couple I looked after a few weeks ago described with a wealth of gratitude and nostalgia the wonderful birth experience they had had in Canberra with their last baby- obviously you are doing something right!
Many thanks,
Monica-------Original Message-------

Date: Friday, 04 October 2002 09:51:52 PM

Hi Mary,
My name is Leanne and I am a Midwife at the Birth Centre at Canberra Hospital, we would love to see you and give you a gander around. The Birth Centre has a Primary Midwifery model and a team Mid model for women. I'm not sure about bookings in May. if you would like to email me ([EMAIL PROTECTED])   and give me an address or ask specific questions I would be glad to try and help.
Leanne