Interesting hearing of a mare eating her placenta.  In my experience, mares don't usually do this.  The placenta of a horse is EXTREMELY interesting and quite different to humans, in that it encompases the whole uterine cavity and the horns of the uterus (up the fallopian tubes), and the membranes are joined to it, so when it's all spread out for examination it looks like a big pair of trousers -- very wierd by comparision to humans.  It usually comes straight after the foal, and the mare's attention is on the foal - licking it to stimulate and dry it.  I'll check with some friends who are breeders, and two clients who are vets (and birth wonderfully I might add!!) to get some more info.  Third stage is just SOOOOO fascinating, isn't it??   Cheers, Lois

     ----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, October 15, 2002 6:09 PM
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] animals eating Placenta

My mare had a foal when I was a teenager and definitely did not eat the placenta despite prolonged opportunity to do so; the foal was born at night during a storm (of course), she was alone with her baby for 16 hr after and the placenta was still lying there on the ground when the vet arrived the check her out the next afternoon. He expected it to be there too, he went looking for it to examine to make sure it was intact (grossing me out). She was a most attentive mother for the two years until weaning took place, baby led- the mare would parade in front of the filly with  a full udder but the filly was less and less inclined to oblige and finally separated altogether. I was quite fascinated as I'd been told by my pro-breastfeeding mother that her milk would reduce as the youngster stopped nursing but it didn't seem to happen that way. From memory the mare had a few very uncomfortable days, who knows, maybe she had a pituitary problem...
Monica