I have recently been corresponding with a friend of mine who is an obstetrician.  He supports midwifery models of care, particularly those that offer integrated choice so that midwives and obstetricians can work together.

He did state to me however that he believes one of the great obstacles to such models is the reluctance of most midwives to work other than an 8 hour shift, and to possibly have to do away with family time and holidays and to be called out at odd hours to attend births.

I am sure there are probably some out there that do like the straight forwardness of shifts however I would be interested to hear the opinion of you ladies (and gentlemen) about your experience of the dedication of midwives when they are expected to provide ongoing antenatal, birth and postnatal support - outside the normal 8 hour shift,  as my gut feeling is that the majority of midwives would love the opportunity to be able to fully use their skills in the support and care of pregnant and birthing women without unnecessary "guidance" or interferrence.

Debby

Protect your PC - Click here for McAfee.com VirusScan Online -- This mailing list is sponsored by ACE Graphics. Visit to subscribe or unsubscribe.