Hi Debby
I wonder how much of the straight shift emphasis has been placed on midwives by the unionisation of our workforce. Whilst I would be the first to admit they have made many advances in conditions for midwives the inflexibility they impose on the system works against the provision of women centred care. I'm talking about the hospital system here. It is obviously a very different story in the community based schemes which are about providing women centred care. I dream of providing a case loading model in our rural setting but realistically most other midwives cannot be as flexible due to the demands of family life.
Jane
 ----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 4:52 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Obstetric Perception - Your thoughts?

Hi Debby and list,
I am one of those who would find it impossible to work other than at organized times, whether they were eight hour or ten hours or whatever. I am a single parent with two children and though they're old enough now to leave for a while in the evening, there's still homework, tutoring, sport, after school activities, babysitting requirements if I'm out over night- even though my eldest child is 15 I couldn't let him take responsibility for looking after himself and my younger daughter all night- there's no end to it and there's no one else on whom I can rely to do for them the things I do. So, much as I like the idea of caseload and all the rest of it it isn't an option for me for at least another 6 years.  Much as I love and am passionate about midwifery, it has to come second to my children's needs. It may be easier for women who have a partner but even then I think they are often juggling their work times with their partner's work times- people are not joking when they say shift work is not family friendly.
Monica