Title: New Dimensions Tonight on ABC
Thought I'd post the transcript, for those without internet access, sorry for the funny format!

Tania

Childbirth is supposed to be one of life’s most natural and normal events. But when things go wrong it can be terrifying and traumatic. So much so that new research from Griffith University in Queensland is showing a significant percentage of women could be clinically defined as having Post Traumatic Stress Disorder brought on by the birth. Shelly Horton has more.

GEORGE NEGUS: As folklore has it, childbirth is a natural and normal thing, but when it goes wrong, it can be anything but natural and normal.

In fact, it can be terrifying and traumatic.

Lately, as Shelly Horton tells us, some new Australian mums are being diagnosed with so-called post-traumatic stress disorder brought on, apparently, by childbirth.

SHELLY HORTON: Three years ago, Kathy Cornack gave birth to beautiful Nicola.

But because Nicola's head wasn't in the ideal position, the birth was anything but beautiful.

KATHY CORNACK: Then they put up an IV drip.

They did some sort of manipulation which was really painful.

They put an epidural in and you've got to keep still because if they miss you could be paralysed.

You're there and you go --

(Howls with pain) ..trying to keep still while they put this needle in.

I became this piece of meat on a bed they were trying to get a baby out of.

I'm lying on my back, looking up and it's like scenes from TV shows -- you just see all the lights and it's kind of surreal.

And it wasn't at all like I imagined my daughter would be born.

I thought it would be this beautiful, you know, sort of family, homely thing.

And she was just born in this cold, grey room surrounded by strangers.

SHELLY HORTON: And unfortunately, Kathy's story is not uncommon.

Experiences like hers prompted research by the Griffith University School of Nursing.

PROF DEBRA CREEDY, PSYCHOLOGIST, GRIFFITH UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF NURSING: We surveyed 600 women prior to delivery, four weeks after delivery and three months after delivery.

And we found that around 33 per cent of women found that childbirth was stressful.

And in 6 per cent of those cases, those women met the full diagnostic criteria for post-traumatic stress disorder.

SHELLY HORTON: This is quite distinct from postnatal depression.

To fit the definition of PTSD, the event has to be traumatic.

For example, the mother has to fear for her life or the life of her child.

PROF DEBRA CREEDY: They have to experience a number of re-experiencing type symptoms -- where women describe standing at the sink doing the dishes, and suddenly a thought of the birth will come flooding back into mind.

So there's that sense of re-experiencing.

There's also symptoms related to avoidance.

So women describe things like driving past the hospital and wanting to move away from that area as soon as possible or wanting to leave the hospital as soon as possible after delivery.

SHELLY HORTON: And these symptoms have to last for more than a month.

PROF DEBRA CREEDY: There has certainly been documented case studies of women who still experience trauma symptoms nine years after the birth.

KATHY CORNACK: It was probably about 15 months before I realised that there was something wrong with me 'cause I'd normally been pretty upbeat and pretty positive and I found I was just crying all the time -- still, even that long after.

Whenever I saw a show about babies or birth or something, I would lose it.

And any little bit of stress would send me over the edge.

SHELLY HORTON: The mothers in the study suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder say the triggers could be anything from a long painful labour, forceps delivery, multiple examinations, and especially emergency caesarean.

JENNY GAMBLE, MIDWIFE, GRIFFITH UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF NURSING: One woman talked about 12 vaginal examinations in four hours -- while she is in labour.

And so those sorts of things really detract from the experience.

SHELLY HORTON: The research shows by failing to recognise a traumatic turn of events during childbirth, maternity staff are missing an opportunity to treat mental distress before it turns into post-traumatic stress disorder.

PROF DEBRA CREEDY: In the survey that I did only 14 per cent of women said that any staff member asked them about the birth which indicates a very low level of focus on the emotional aspects of care.

SHELLY HORTON: Do you think there's a serious problem that women have a romantic view of what childbirth will be?

JENNY GAMBLE: No.

I don't think the problem lies with the women at all.

I think you should be able to come in off the street in labour and get sensitive and appropriate care.

KATHY CORNACK: I found that they were very unsympathetic.

They were good.

They sort of cared for the basic health -- basic physical health -- but no-one was very kind of understanding of what might have been wrong with me.

SHELLY HORTON: The researchers agree, and they hope to encourage maternity staff towards a more holistic approach.

JENNY GAMBLE: We have 24 per cent caesarean section rates.

Let's face it.

Things aren't going all along swimmingly.

SHELLY HORTON: Maternity staff defend themselves saying they don't have time to counsel women, especially if there's an emergency during the birth.

JENNY GAMBLE: There's nothing to stop one midwife speaking quietly, calmly, clearly to the woman.

So even in the midst of a rush to get a baby delivered quickly in a dire emergency -- that the woman still has some sort of emotional support to get her through that.

SHELLY HORTON: Kathy felt being diagnosed with PTSD allowed her to move on.

KATHY CORNACK: I woke up one morning and looked at my little girl and went "Wow!

"You know, you're pretty neat."

It wasn't like I'd wanted to do her in or those sorts of things that you read about, but I hadn't actually bonded with her.

I'd been quite mechanistic about it and liked her alright but I think it took until about 15 months before I actually started to love her.

And I think that that's only now that I really, really kind of love her.

GEORGE NEGUS: Some particularly brutal honesty there.

And we should thank Kathy for agreeing to be filmed.

<<CC9999.gif>>