I just finished reading a book called Hospital by the River, which is about an Australian obstetrician who went to work in Africa in (I think) the 1950s.  The book is primarily centred on how they gave back dignity and physical repair to women who had suffered from fistulas and other similarly devestating birth traumas, and who had not been properly attended to immediately after the birth.  The book does tell the stories of these women in that many of them were very young teenagers at their first birth, had mostly laboured for days with no result and eventually dead babies and many of whom had been subject to female circumcism.  They also tell how many of these women went on to have safe vaginal deliveries the next time around.

Isis I don't know the answer to your question of whether a csec is warranted next delivery but I do know that there is certainly evidence that uneventful vaginal delivery is possible in situations such as yours, if this book is anything to go by.

Having had two vaginal deliveries after a csec where my uterus did not rupture all over the place as is the fear of many obstetricians, I can also vouch for the ability of the healthy human body to heal itself and be strong.

Ultimately it is your choice, no one can force a csec on you, and if you are willing to accept that in a worse case (but probably unlikely??) scenario you would need colo rectal surgery then it is your choice to accept this risk - not the right of anyone else to tell you you can't.

Debby

>From: "Isis and Andrew Caple" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: [ozmidwifery] Julia's birth
>Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 08:57:36 +1100
>
>After following the discussions about interventions, prostin and in some
>cases ob's putting the fear of danger into mother's minds, I wanted to share
>Julia's birth with you all. After she was born, it was then that I decided
>to become a midwife. I wanted to become a voice in the birthing woman's ear
>telling her to trust herself, that she was doing fine and to guide/support
>her in the special journey that is pregnancy/childbirth...
>
>Julia was due to be born around 18th October 2001. I was originally booked
>into the Geelong Hospital Birthing Centre, but I stupidly mentioned a cyst
>that I had in my head and like a hot-cake, I was shifted to the ante-natal
>clinic. I kept telling them that it was just a lump of flesh and a that
>neurologist had given me the all clear, but the doctors just nodded and gave
>the good old- 'Just in case...'
>

>At about 30 weeks, my blood pressure shot through the roof. No other
>symptoms, just a bp of about 150/105. Eventually at 38 weeks, the doctors
>decided that I should have my babe induced. The medications weren't reducing
>my BP. The date of the inducement was Monday 8th October 2001. I remember
>the OB who booked the induction, telling me that because I was being
>induced, I would most likely need to be put on a drip then given an epidural
>all in order to bring down my blood pressure. Being a first time mother,
>with no female support in this state, I nodded and accepted it. I had done
>my research, I knew what all these interventions were, but because it was my
>body that wasn't coping, I didn't bother questioning.
>

>At 8am on the big day, Andrew and I went to the hospital for the first (as
>it turns out- only) application of the prostaglandin gel (or should I say-
>pig jism..LOL) at 8.30am. I was at the hospital for about 2 hours while they
>externally monitored Julia’s heart rate and my blood pressure. They told me
>to go home and get into bed and to return at about 4.30pm. So we left the
>hospital, and got home at about 11.30am. I jumped into bed to read at about
>midday, feeling slight period pain. The slight period pain felt stronger and
>stronger, till at 1pm I decided to get up and have a walk and a cup of tea.
>Just as I thought about doing this, I heard a ‘pop’, but thought it was from
>outside. I rolled out of bed and stood up, feeling 2 ‘runs’ of water, that
>was definitely not me weeing myself. I then realised as well that my period
>pains were quite regular and painful. They were 4 minutes apart and
>definitely enough to make me take notice. We called the hospital and were
>told to come in, but not to rush it. I had a piece of toast and a cup of
>tea, by then the contractions were 3 minutes apart. On the way to the
>hospital I was really uncomfortable. The contractions were 2 minutes apart
> [...]

MSN 8 helps ELIMINATE E-MAIL VIRUSES. Get 2 months FREE*. -- This mailing list is sponsored by ACE Graphics. Visit to subscribe or unsubscribe.