Wonderfull example of "where there is a will there is a way!
Thank you denise
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, November 24, 2002 1:36 PM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] How to halve the CS rate ..

Dear Listers

I am cross-posting this posting from a National Childbirth Trust (NCT) list that I am on in the UK.  This is timely given the bit in the newspaper today the CS rate in WA is nearly 27%.  The UK government are committed to reducing the section rate and it is heartening to actually see how it can be achieved.  As you will see from the posting, the North Hampshire Hospital in Basingstoke (which is in southern England) have reduced their rate from around 30% to 13% in a matter of months.

The message was as follows:

The North Hampshire Hospital, Basingstoke, has halved its caesarean section
rate!

The Head of the Labour Ward (Carol) is behind it, supported by the Lead
Obstetrician (Claire).  Carol was at the last Rising Caesarean Rate
Conference in January and expressed her frustration that it was all very well
but what *exactly* had to happen to get the rate down.

> The Maternity Forum met last week, and since we have just lost our
administrative support goodness knows when we'll get any minutes so what
follows is from my memory:

> The graph showed that the csr peaked in Dec/Jan at around 28-30%.  There
was lots of talk about how they could get the rate down.  From May there has
been a steady decline in the rate reaching 15% in October, and 13% over the
first couple of weeks in November.  They are hoping to be able to maintain
this.  They are really excited by their success, but it was clear they wanted
to maintain it for a few more months before they feel confident to start
shouting about it.  The year end csr won't show the dramatic improvement
although they are expecting it to end up at around 20% overall as opposed to
25% last year.

> So, how have they done it.  Well it is multifactorial.
>
> 1. Feb/March saw the annual change of registrars. Two female registrars
joined who are very pro vaginal birth.
> 2. VBAC - women with a history of caesarean section are encouraged to
labour.
> 3. Breech - Despite results of the Term Breech Trial, they are still
supporting those women who wish to give birth vaginally to breech presenting
babies to do so.  In 1991 3% of breech babies were born vaginally, currently
15% of breech babies are born vaginally.
> 4. CTG training package - Last year they had a doctor who was very
interested in this and who put together a very good training package for the
midwives resulting in better interpretation of EFM traces.
> 5. Carol was given a small amount of money to spend on improving things for
women.  She decided the beds in the labour rooms looked very clinical and
spent the money on nice duvet covers and pillow cases (no, wait, keep
reading).  She then moved the beds so they are along the wall, with a chair
in front of bed.  Male partners are encouraged to sit on bed with the
labouring woman using the chair.  Women then generally stand up and move for
contractions, the more upright position being better for labour.  She has had
to fight to keep those beds along the walls.  Auxillary staff keep moving
them back to the middle and it sounded like she has had a bit of a set to
with them.  Her and Claire have had to be very persistent in moving the beds
back!  But she has won.
> 6. Induction - There has been a change of induction procedure.  Epidurals
are no longer fitted before induction but are available afterwards if and
when needed.  Women are finding that they can cope with induced labour and
midwives are gaining  confidence that women can cope.  More inductions are
being carried out since it is now policy to induce at 10 days (due to NICE
guidelines) rather than 12 days as previously, but more are resulting in
spontaneous vaginal deliveries.
> 7. Midwife ventouse practitioners - Basingstoke now have four midwives
trained to do ventouse deliveries.  In 55% of cases where a midwife is called
to carry out a ventouse delivery, a spontaneous vaginal birth is achieved.
But more important are the opportunities this gives for experienced midwives
to pass on their skills to less experienced midwives.

> What these measures have succeeded in doing is changing the attitude of
the unit as a whole.  It is early days yet, but they have high hopes of being
able to sustain the change.  They have recently taken on a new obs and Carol
says she made it very clear to him at their first meeting that this is how
things are going to be run and that he will have to fit in.

> There was another graph too.  Just in case anyone thinks they are doing
less cs and more forceps/ventouse that is not the case.  The forceps/ventouse
deliveries have remained unchanged.  The number of caesareans has gone down
and the number of svd's has gone up.

> I am so please this has happened anywhere, but for it to happen on my patch
> is great - although I can claim absolutely no credit whatsoever!

How about trying this here?

Debbie Slater
Perth, WA