I was part of a deputation to Health Minister, Wendy Edmond at the Country Cabinet Meeting in Cairns in June.  The main issue I discussed was the rationalisation/centralisation of birthing services in regional areas because of reduction of number of doctors doing obstetrics and for short term budget reasons.  Health Minister was pretty clueless and her right hand man ??deputy-director general of QHealth had the traditional doctor view of birth as a perilous event that is extremely hazardous to mother and baby without the heroic hand of the doctor.
I gave them a copy of NMAP (which promptly got buried under a pile of other stuff) and had a short discussion about it- only had about 5 minutes to give my spiel. Neither of them had heard about it at that stage and I left feeling that I had wasted my time but I do believe every little bit helps.  We need to make sure they keep hearing about it from many different people in many different places.  I guess they are a little more familiar with the NMAP now.  We need to make sure it keeps cropping up where ever they are. We have to NAG.  Nagging, as my 7 year old son can vouch, is a very effective tool for getting what you want!

Sandra

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 8:08 AM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Community Cabinet Meetings - QUEENSLAND

Hi everyone,

Just a bit on the community cabinet process as it is a fantastic opportunity to actually meet with Ministers.

QLD Cabinet Ministers meet in regional areas regularly. In 2002, Community Cabinets have been held at Stanthorpe (South East QLD), the Brisbane Convention Centre, Moranbah (Central QLD), the State Library (Brisbane), Sunnybank Hills (Brisbane), Cairns (North QLD), Barcaldine(Central QLD), Longreach (Western Queensland), the Royal Queensland Show (the Ekka -Brisbane), Gympie (South East QLD), Ipswich (South East QLD) and Chatsworth (North West QLD). In addition a full Cabinet has meet in Townsville (North QLD).

The cabinet meetings are part of the Government election promises to get out of hear what the community is saying. "It's part of the commitment to being a Government for everybody no matter where they live in Queensland"

You can request a formal deputation or just rock up on the day and hope for the best. A formal deputation is the better option as you get allocated time but you have to get in early.  The Department of  Premier and Cabinet office handles the Community Cabinet so if anyone is interested in attending one next year (I don't think there are any more this year) I suggest you contact the Department and find out where they are being held.

In addition there are quarterly Ministerial Forums which are held in each region of QLD. At the Forums, two Cabinet Ministers meet with twenty regional representatives, who represent a broad cross section of the community to discuss ideas and issues of regional significance. The purpose of the quarterly Forums is for regional communities to identify priority issues, needs and problems they want to raise with Government, and provide the mechanism for those issues to be presented directly to State Government Ministers by community members. This is another good opportunity to target the Pollies.  There are opportunities for local individuals and groups can raise proposals directly with the State Government through these Forums . For more information you need to talk to Regional Communities Division (Department of Premier and Cabinet) on (07) 3235 9027

I am not sure if other states have similar processes as it was an initiative that the Labour party set up as part of it's election campaign.

Sally.