Frank, another thought about that bouancy theme.  We all have bouancy in
water, no problem there.  What has it got to do with the baby and birthing?
the baby is in the often water filled uterus and is then squeeeeezed out
through the vagina.  It would be held very tightly by the muscles of the
uterus and vaging during labour and in no danger of going anywhere but down
and out.  When the baby is born in water, it doesn't immediately pop up out
of the water.  Usually the mother or midwife pick it up and bring it to the
surface.  I'm not sure wher the disadvantage is seen to be, especially with
the woman flexing her body into whichever position facilitates the birth.
Cheers, MM