Hello fellow listers....

this is a question for those of you who are haematologically minded :-))
A follow thru client received her blood results and has been diagnosed with having JK(a) antibodies.....

A quick search of Pubmed tells me that Kidd (JK) blood group antigens are clinically important...doesn't say why...(Im guessing with cross matching for blood transfusions etc...) and that Kidd blood group antigens are carried by the urea transporter in red Blood cells.

Is anyone able to shed any light on the clinical significance of having JK(a) antibodies...for the woman and for the babe in utero or able to direct me to any other references that may assist me in understanding what this means exactly.

Thanking you all in advance,

Tina Pettigrew
B Mid Student
ACU Melb.