Dear All,

I am hoping you may be able to help.  I am expecting my fourth baby in approx. 2 weeks & need some advise.  I usually experience killer afterbirth pains that often seem worse than the labour.  For this birth I am attending the Birth Centre here in Brisbane & am planning to birth in the water & birth my placenta physiologically.  I have not had a physiological third stage in the past (nor a water birth) & I was hoping that this will make a difference to the afterbirth pains.  The acupuncturist I have been visiting has also suggested Chinese herbs (usually used in labour) to assist with this pain also... have any of you used Chinese herbs for something like this & if so, are they safe for breastfeeding?

Also, my husband & I are planning on having our 3 other children at our birth & I was thinking that if all goes to plan that they may like to touch the baby as he/she crowns & is born.  Do any of you experienced with siblings being present find that siblings want to be this involved?  I want my children to find this experience as wonderful & totally natural as I do.  I cannot put into words the way I feel about birth (as a woman, mother & midwife)... but would somehow like to share these overwhelming feelings with my children.  Do many of the children want to get into the birth pool / tub during the labour &/or birth?  I know all children are individual (my three certainly are)... but would not like to limit them & the way they would like to participate just because I have no idea about the normal reactions of children  I have never met anybody who has had their other children present at their births & I have never cared for any woman in that situation  (in fact almost everyone I tell of our plans look at me as though I've stepped from another planet).

Any suggestions welcome.... (I hope my questions make sense.... brains getting a bit foggy in the lead up to birth).

Tina H.