Date: Tuesday, 27 May 2003 6:00:46 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] 2 questions about pregnancy

Nat,

labour is generally shorter in a second labour.I usually feel fairly
confident telling mums it will be in the vicinity of half the lst labour
given there are no factors that slow it down.( this doesnt follow for 3rd
labours from 2nd though) It can often be shorter with an epidural ( because
pain perceived is decreased and the the pelvic muscles are relaxed) but can
also be longer ( contraction strength often diminishes for a while but that
in itself is usually countered by the use of a synto infusion - hence the
cascade of intervention. + 2nd stage can often be longer if there is no urge
to push ). I dont feel there is a 'safe' answer to give that she could
depend upon. Epidurals are for reducing pain, not reducing the length of
labour. They reduce pain and increase intervention.

Her hip/belly pain could be ligament pain which occurs because of the
stretching uterus. they tend to stay tender until the end of the pregnancy.
Try a little heat.

hope this helps.
Robin