You are quite right. It probably explains why so many women had so many pelvic floor problems, that led to the obstetric "solutions" eg episiotomy, to solve an iatrogenic problem that led to incontinence etc in later life.  Also the babies were so zonked out they didn't breast feed well.
the effects of this medical intervention is still being felt now, especially the medical culture of control of women in childbirth.  MM

  "I would have thought that it would have created problems with bonding and feeding etc - however they probably promoted bottle feeding too??

I would expect that there would also have been problems with tearing and rupture etc"