I also understand that from Queen Victoria into the 50's women in labour were given ether and this was called Twilight sleep?
Denise
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2003 3:00 AM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] twilight delivery - or twilight baby?

Hi, My 88yr old mother, a midwife in a previous life, tells me that it was a mixture of morphine and scopolamine.  she was injected with it it in 1950, against her protests,  for the birth of my sister and nearly died with an anaphylactic shock reaction. It was a common injection for "painless labour".  It was painless alright because women were unconcious and sometimes couldn't remember giving birth MM