Hi Marilyn - interesting to see that the two practices CAN co-exist if managed correctly.  Thanks for sharing your experience of this in the USA - it's all pretty new here.  My priorities would be the same as you describe.  Regards, Lois
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 9:56 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Cord Blood Storage

Hi Anne:

I had a similar experience with a homebirth in California. Didn't interfere with expectant management of third stage except yes we did touch the cord, which was cut AFTER it had finished pulsing, we were able to get the minimum amount of blood to be stored (~50 mL in this case, I think). The kit was very complete and the instructions very clear and the placenta delivered by itself very nicely. In this case the cord blood was a donation to a public cord bank in Florida (I think). The other midwife and myself made it very clear that the baby came first and that he/she would receive the cord blood first, the parents agreed and understood. It all worked out fine with expectant management of third stage, not at all a problem. Again the main issue ended up being the courier service but the parents(dad: it was his idea) took care of that.

marilyn