Anne,
We have a client who is planning on cord blood storage. This woman has come
prepared with information on the procedure for cord blood storage at birth
incorporated into her birth plan and history, plus the woman is providing
the kit needed. I am under the impression that the woman has taken full
responsibility for accessing the information. I am not sure who she has
organised cord blood banking with, but I do remember a TV advertisement on
cord blood banking by inner wheel, I think that was the name. Otherwise, try
loking on the web search engines under cord blood banking and see what comes
up. You could try www.cordbloodbank.com but from memory this isn't an
australian site. However, if you want take a look at the rancog's website at
www.ranzcog.edu.au look in the open statements under cord blood banking to
see their recommendations which is cord blood storage for at risk patients,
not recommended for low risk women and babies at this point in time,
www.rcog.org.uk does not recommend cord blood banking due to lack of
scientific evidence of the benefits. Also, if you want to provide the woman
with balanced information about the benefits of the baby recieving its own
cord blood at birth as mother nature intended, look at judith mercers 2
articles - A current best evidence: a review of the literature on umbilical
cord clamping and Neonatal transitional physiology: a new paradigm at
www.cordclamping.com . Another article to look at would be S. Buckley's
Leaving well alone. A natural approach to the third stage of labour.>
kathy