Carol,

You are right in that I choose not to work in a system that requires me to
administer treatments and procedures that are at odds with my basic
philosophies as a human being and midwife, but that's another argument for
another day.  I recognise the need for some pharmaceuticals some of the
time, and I keep myself up to date with what's new, and what's not, even
though I don't work within the hospital system as such.  I am quite able to
access a MIMS or other reference materials for this kind of information, and
I really don't think it's the job of the ACMI to pick and choose which
treatments I should be made aware of, surely that is my responsibility as a
RM?

We're all quick to judge GP's who push certain drugs and treatments and not
others, presumably for financial gain.  I'm aware there has only recently
been a discussion on this list about the ethics of advertising Elevit, and I
know there are concerns about other such things like the Epi-No etc.  So why
is this any different?  The fact that as a community midwife I have next to
no ability to prescribe anything without the aid of a medical officer, makes
it even more absurd that the ACMI would spend money on educating me about
this, or any other drug for that matter.   It disturbs me greatly, and I've
written to the ACMI with my concerns.  We are supposedly a body of well
educated professionals, whose specialty, as Jan so succinctly said, is in
the area of normal birth.   My fears about being inundated with ads for
drugs are definitely not allayed, but are not nearly as real as my fears for
where we as a profession are headed if this is accepted by not only our
professional body, but the majority of the members as being 'unbiased,
informative and educational'.

Please don't take this as a personal attack, I just really feel strongly
that there is no defense for this action,

Tania

or unsubscribe.