Hi,

I am fairly new to this list, I hope that this is the right place to be asking these
questions. I had my first child 18 months ago in Adelaide, at the Birth Centre at the
QEH. We received truly excellent care throughout my pregnancy, the birth and with
breastfeeding problems afterwards, I wouldn't hesitate to go back but we are now
living in Sydney. I am not yet pregnant but I am feeling anxious to know what my
options are and a girlfriend who lives round the corner has just found out she is
pregnant so we have decided to explore all the options available to us together. I
would like to know:

1) is there a publicly funded caseload/continuity of care program running anywhere in
sydney?

2) is there any publicly funded homebirth otpion available in sydney?

3) where do I find a list of independent midwives working in the eastern suburbs?

4) does the RWH birth centre allow you to book as a private patient under the care of
an independant midwife? If so is there a limited list of midwives who have admitting
rights? The same questions for the KGV birth centre actually.

5) where can I find out stats on the birth centres at Randwick and KGV such as
transfer out rates (before and during labour), intervention rates for transfered women
and also any policies I am likely to want to know about (for example do they have
policies regarding active management of 3rd state, water birth, breech, twins, vbac,
time limits, etc).

6) who is the right person to contact in order to make a time to see the RWH and KGV
birth centres and talk in person about their philosophies and policies?

7) I would also like to make a shortlist of good OBs should one become necessary  so
anyone on this list who is able to recommend an OB practicing preferably at RWH/POWP,
but anywhere in sydney would do, who is very supportive of natural birth and is for
example homebirth friendly and experienced with vaginal breech, please let me know. I
would also be very grateful for warnings of anyone to particularly steer clear of.

If you prefer to answer this last question privately (or any of the questions really)
please feel free to email me directly.

thanks so much!
Jo