She should contact her local branch of the NCT - as many branches have local homebirth support groups. Their contact details are on the web site - nctpregnancyandbabycare.com

They will also be able to tell her about all the local options for her - birth centres/ hospital/ midwives/ aand, as you say, she should have no problem with a homebirth in the NHS.

The NCT can also help her with antenatal classes, postnatal support and breastfeedinng support.

If she does come across any problems then she should contact the government minister who has been charged with making sure that women can access homebirths through the NHS - can't remember her name off hand - but the local nct will know.

There is an email yahoogroup for homebirths in the UK - [EMAIL PROTECTED] to subscribe

I would also recommend joining the nct general chat group - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

There are plenty of members there in Wales who may be able to help her with all sorts of things and even make contact with her directly. They are a really supportive and friendly group - I've been a member for nearly 5 years :-)

If I can help any further, please pass on my email to her and she can email me direct.

Debbie Slater
NCT member - now in Perth, WA

Andrea Robertson wrote:
Hi Jo,

In all my travels in Wales I haven't come across any community groups for homebirth such as HAS. There are NCT (National Childbirth Trust) groups but they are broad based, not just focusing on home birth. BTW, if she wants a home birth while she is in Wales, she should be able to have one, without any problems, through the National Health Service. They have a new Welsh Government intitiative in place that is really supportive of midwifery and home birth, and the rate of homebirths is climbing rapidly in most areas. The Caerphilly Birth Centre is also an excellent mdiwifery unit (not far out of Cardiff). If your member wants any other ideas, she can email me and I will give her some contacts....

Regards,
Andrea