From: Jen Semple
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2003 11:02 AM
Subject: [ozmidwifery] caseload

I read Janet's story with tears in my eyes as well, but it's made me wonder about caseload too.

I'm a Bachelor of Midwifery student & from what we've learned at uni & from the experiences I've had on clinical placement in hospitals, if I have any choice in where & how I work when I graduate, caseload is the only model of care I would consider working in.  I know there are lots of other students who feel similarly.

Could any of you wise midwives or consumers explain why caseload models are being shut down (Janet's, the Angliss, etc) or not expanded when they're so popular (the KYM program @ Birralee)?  They sound like they've been successful & we all now that they can be economically sucessful.

Am I missing something?!  :o)

Cheers, Jen
2nd year BMid, Melbourne

Jan Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Janet

I shed a few tears too when I read your e-mail.
While smiling with happiness for the parents of this healthy little boy my tears were for YOU when I saw you signing yourself  “finished now as a caseload midwife”.

Aren’t there enough women around who have experienced the benefits of one-to-one midwifery care who will get up and fight for continuing this service?
Couldn’t the caseload midwives get together with the women and form a  branch of the Maternity Coalition and get this mysogynistic act into the newspapers?

Access the Maternity Coalition’s website now    www.maternitycoalition.org.au  and arrange for some support from them in setting up a group to lobby your state department of health.

All the best
Jan Robinson

Yahoo! Search