Hi Jen,

While I can't answer your question from a hospital policy point of view. I have to say, it bewilders me why the many things that we know are better for the women are being discarded like they matter not.

I hear so often from women of their dissapointment with not being able to have a midwife of their choice and still be given the option of going to hospital if they want to. Its so hard to comprehend. In Queensland we seem to be more backward than most and thats frustrating.

Just today a women came to see me about supporting her through a hospital birth.  We talked at length about the phoenix program in Brisbane. While it is suppose to give women the chance to have a known Midwife and don't get me wrong, I know the midwives are keen to help women, but it is a token gesture, to what women really want and what they need to get better birth outcomes.
For my own sanity I have to keep telling myself, it's going to get better!!

Dierdre.