Title: Re: [ozmidwifery] Birthing pools

Well Mary, not only a great midwife but a DIY carpenter!! I am impressed.

Justine

As we make our own "demountable" birthing pools, I would like to tell you about them.  The most economical, suitable sized and transportable way is to start with a 8foot X 4 foot (imperial measure)  panel of either outdoor or marine ply.  A single cut from top to bottom = 2foot x 8 foot.  Cut these equally in half  and again, until what you have is 8 panels x 2 foot.  this makes  square panels  2foot  x 2foot (60cm x 60cm) hinged on all four corners, equals a very good sized  pool when erected.  We usually break them down to 4 pairs.  hinged like books.(we use wing nuts on the "undo" side for ease of erection) When in a hurry or a poor hot water supply, then 7 panels, or for quick multips, 3 panels, makes a great smaller birthing  pool.  We put sponge mattress inside the walls of the pool, then line with either a blue tarpauline and 2 clear plastic liners 4mtrs x 4 mtrs (12foot x 12 foot) square(looks great) or 2 black plastic liners sized as above.  All bought from the hardware store (Bunnings Balcatta here in W.A.) We also add comfort things like pool noodles over the hard edge of the wooden tub, underneath the plastic, so that arms are more comfortable.  We also have put carrying holes in the panels so it is easier to get them from storage to car and house etc.I have personally made two of these myself, so it is not difficult. We fill them from the hot water supply with a new garden hose and empty them by siphonage the same way into a floor drain or out the back door into the garden. Each woman has her own new, pool lining plastic for infection control.    We have birthed hundreds of babies in these pools over the last 20 yrs.  Great privacy and pain relief- way to go.  cheers, MM