Hi Sue,
Delighted to see you back on the list again and back with birthing and
babies :-)
Last I had read from you was a big dump and distraught feelings, which I
interpreted as a sad loss to the homebirth arena - glad you are back
into it all again with passion and enthusiasm.

I feel compelled to respond to your previous comment "What are some of
these parameters we use to judge normality with?"

I'd like to suggest that one of the ways changes are effected is by
consumers.
One of the biggest impacts on consumer attitudes is books.
One of the most popular books in recent times has been "What to expect
when you're expecting"
Working as I do at grass roots with mainstream couples I have observed
that the more they read of "medicalised, pulled apart, reduced both in
size and importance" type of books from the US instead of reassuring,
positive, insightful, empowering books from the likes of Janet Balaskas
and Sheila Kitzinger in the UK, the more the consumers are frightened
and expecting severe complications and problems.

Where are the good aussie books about birth?
We need to see a lot more of these... anyone writing the next birthing
bestseller??

Hug
Julie

Julie Clarke CBE