Title: Re: [ozmidwifery] Advise, encouragement,  support
This is disgusting, but I imagine sadly realistic (3 children no VE’s due to IPM and homebirth so I am most blissfully ignorant).  Inform these women, encourage them to make complaint refuse a VE etc.  Unfortunately you will not succeed like consumers will, but they need to be supported in making a stand (let them know that by them standing up they may avoid other women and themselves going through this).  The Health Care Complaints Commissioner in your state needs to hear about this, in these women’s words as you described.

Hope this helps

Justine Caines

I am leaving a midwifery position where I have continually witnessed brutal assaults to labouring, birthing women, no doubt deeply traumatised by their experience for a long time afterward, likewise their significant others supporting them during the childbirth experience.  Prior to my resignation I need to make a difference.
Initially I was horrified, complained to other midwives/obstetric nurses I work with, whom were judgemental, commenting that perhaps I should seek employment elsewhere.  I complained to the unit manager whom decided I should attend the next obstetric meeting sharing my concerns with obstetricians involved.(And get shot between the eyeballs)
As a stand alone midwife, NZ trained, I began informing women what to expect with vaginal examinations and what not to expect, hence:discomfort, not excruciating pain. That painful VE are unnecessary.
Feedback from women post VE:
"I felt like I had been raped."
"It felt like my wisdom teeth were being pulled out through my vagina."
"The pain was so bad I tried to crawl out the top of the bed to get away."
"My husband will never forgive me for this."
Breaks my heart and brings tears to my eyes that this crap is allowed to continue.  My main goal is to make a change for even one women that I make a connection with, the reason I continued to work there.
 For my professional, personal well being, but mostly for women I need to take this one step further.   I desperately want these obstetricians to realise that their vaginal examinations are brutal assaults and not acceptable.
I am prepared to do what ever it takes to stop women suffering.
  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

At this point I would prefer to remain anonymous for the time being, I know you will understand.

THANKS