I asked Gail  to comment on this question.  Below is her reply.
> All I'm asking is is there anything I can do or say?  I will just feel so
> bad if she has a horrendous time which possibly could have been avoided.
> What can we learn from all these horror stories to help other women?  Claire Saxby

I would answer something like:
Obstetrics starts from a position of fear and pathology; midwifery from a position of faith in normality. So you decide what you want from your birth, and what you want for your baby.
The mum in question needs someone to help her to see birth as an ordinary event. Kind of like my ex husband, when I told him I was having a homebirth with my third (not his) baby: "What if the same thing happens that happened to Jesse?" Jesse was my second: undiagnosed breech, labouring at home for a long while and then in hospital - and very nicely thankyou. Got to second stage, and then they felt a bottom instead of a head and whisked me off to theatre. I was pushing, I felt I could have sat up and pushed him out at the time, but all I heard was 'Don't push, Mrs Fletcher', so I tried with all my might not to push and prayed for the blackout that the impending GA would bring so I didn't need to try so hard anymore.
So I told my ex that it wouldn't happen again, and it didn't. I'm not proud of my blind faith, but am a bit sad for the woman I was at that time, and even more sad that I didn't have the support that would help me find the blind faith I needed in my own body - this is the beauty of the independent midwife.
I can't help wondering what it would have been like in the quiet of my own home with a midwife who knew me and trusted in birth. Absolutely, he may have been a footling breech, am told that's a problem, but I suspect he was frank - they felt a bottom, must have because they could tell me he was a boy before he was born. I've had no luck getting hold of my notes so I can't tell with any certainty. But I do know that if I was at home, and if he was footling breech and I really DID need a ceasar, the hospital was close enough that I could have made it so my baby would be safe. And I also know that had I been at home with a midwife, she would probably have 'twigged' that he was breech long before I was in second stage labour - long before I was even in labour. There would have been time to talk over my options, decide on what I was to do. Even if I'd needed a caesar, it wouldn't have been such an abruption from my lovely labour - it wouldn't have been an 'emergency'.
On the face of it, there doesn't seem to be much difference between midwifery or obstetrical care, but perhaps we can think of it in terms of 'time to talk' (no time to talk to the ob, he's much too busy and important), and 'faith in the process' (he has no faith, he sees it purely in terms of pathology and risk). Even if we need to go to hospital, even if we need a caesarean, how much better would that experience be if we knew what was happening to us, and felt all our options were covered? Midwives can do this, and much more.
Gail Hancock
Convenor, Birthrites: Healing After Caesarean Inc.
Perth, Western Australia
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.birthrites.org

I support the National Maternity Action Plan
www.maternitycoalition.org.au/NMAP

Birth is as safe as life gets.
  --Harriett Hartigan