Regards
Jan

PS Chantel and Lewis got their camping trip in to Greenpatch before the baby came. They LOVED it and bought back some great pictures. Especially loved the birds joining them for meals and the kangaroos hopping around them. Chantel had never seen a kangaroo before.

On Wednesday, November 12, 2003, at 08:00 PM, Rob and Claire Leslie-Carter wrote:

I have a question for all you wise women.

A friend of mine is now pregnant with her second child, the first born by c-section due to placenta praevia (sp?). She is mostly decided to try for a VBAC but not 100%. After all our recent talk about caesarians etc. I think she is a prime candidate for a failed VBAC. However I don't really know what to say to her. I think she would be better off finding an independent midwife, but that is so far away from her mind set. There is a lot in what Sonia was saying about the perceived inferiority of midwife led care, I don't know if it would be possible for her to shift to the idea of a midwife. She is complaining about her ob's gap (which I think is some sort of extra payment (I'm English it's all a mystery to me)) but still doesn't even think about a midwife.

All I'm asking is is there anything I can do or say? I will just feel so bad if she has a horrendous time which possibly could have been avoided. What can we learn from all these horror stories to help other women?

Claire Saxby

From: "Wayne and Caroline McCullough" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [ozmidwifery] Advise, encouragement,  support (long)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:46:07 +1000

Sonia,

Thank you for your beautiful words.. I have tears in my eyes. You are
coming to terms with something so monumental... A year or so ago that
was me... I went from the "private/obstetric" mindset about birth to the
"midwife" mindset but was still so influenced by all the things you
mention that I still had my own obstetrician even though I'd hired a
private midwife. Now I know that I would do things very differently next
time.... It is a hard journey to be on and you are doing so amazingly. I
send you strength and blessings and would like your permission to pass
this message on to others who may need to read it too.

Love Cas.

Cas McCullough
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.casmccullough.com