I am getting really confused about what is happening in South East Health. On the one hand I spoke to someone at Randwick who said that there was no movement in introducing homebirth and there didn't look like there would be any in the near future. Then I hear that some politician is dragging his/her feet (can't remember who it was) about funding, then I am asked (but not yet directly) to be a consumer rep on the comittee who will be introducing homebirth at St Georges, and then your email seems to imply that a lot of decisions have been made.

This is really frustrating, after all we can only be talking about a small number of women at the start who will be choosing homebirth, especially if the educators at the hospital are under pressure to tell a certain story. I run a homebirth support group and have tried to get this information so that there can be some linkage between the community and the hospital, but I feel increasingly frustrated that I haven't got a clue what is happening!!!! I am concerned that the program is being set up to fail and then that will be the reason they cite for not introducing the program elsewhere in the state. Any more information out there?

Claire Saxby

From: Andrea Robertson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] New models of midwifery care
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 09:50:58 +1100

Hi Sue,

I have checked this out - at the RHW in Randwick, there are 8 midwives on the Birth Centre team with experience of homebirths and it will be these midwives who are offering the homebirth option. A similar situation is in place at St George. THere will also be four very experienced home birth midwives available asmentors for the new graduates who want to work in this way - they will be supported through at least their first five home births.

I am not sure of these programs are picking up ex-independent midwives although it would seem to be a great opportunity for those who want to continue to work in this way but with better back-up resources and more midwife-friendly hours (which may be important for some with family obligations). I understand that there has been quite an influx of midwives from the UK and NZ who have home birth experience, which is very useful as we move towards establishing home birth services here.

We are really hoping that these new services get going quickly - the NSW Department of Health will be watching to see how popular they are and how they function as a basis for looking at other ways of funding homebirths, perhaps directly, or through Commmunity Health. If these home birth programs in the South Eastern Sydney Area Health Service fail or don't get started, then there will be less reason for the NSW Dept of Health to support any other proposed models of midwifery care.

We are all very hopeful that we can at last get home birth available as a regular option for women choosing the public health system in NSW. Its a start, and will provide important evidence for initiating other services as well.

I know that St George are canvassing the help of independent midwives in their catchment area and hoping they will also offer practical assistance and support to get the program running. Once it is in place we can then move on to other possibilities....

Cheers

Andrea