-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jo Bourne
Sent: Monday, 8 December 2003 5:43 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] birth and breastfeeding attitudes

this really surprises me, I have just never had even a nasty look
(though lots of smiles) - feeding my baby (and now my toddler) on buses,
in bank queues, at funerals, weddings, at restaurants with my
grandmother who bottlefed all of her 7 children... I forget that there
are still people around with this attitude. My daughter still feeds A
LOT at 22 months so we still feed in public all the time and I would
have the same reaction you did - assuming they must be talking about
something else.

To be honest I have heard far more women who bottle feed complaining
about getting dirty looks and feeling embarassed in public than
breastfeeders, possibly they feel guilty and are expecting to get a
negative response so they see one. I do think that the majority of
Australians have a reasonable attitude today, or at least know to keep
their negative opinion to themselves.

cheers
Jo

At 23:05 +1100 7/12/03, Ron  & Nicole Christensen wrote:
>Not only am I exasperated by the constant shameful attitude about
>natural birthing in this country ...but it seems to not stop there!!!
>..... I was strolling out of a local shopping plaza this morning, with
>my darling 4 month old baby suckling contentedly on the breast all
>snuggled up in his sling... when a middle-aged woman past me and
>commented quite loudly to her husband "that's disgusting!!". Being in
>my own little world with my baby - my first thoughts were that she was
>in deep conversation with her husband... until I eventually looked up
>and she was giving me a filthy look!!! I am already disheartened by the

>ignorance of natural birth in this country ... but when the sight of a
>mother breastfeeding her young baby draws venom.... (especially from
>another woman) it really makes me sad. I hope that this woman does not
>have girls...goodness knows what advice she would be passing on!
>
>sorry - just had to share my bizarre experience of today... kind
>regards, Nicole
>
>--

Jo Bourne
Virtual Artists Pty Ltd