Syntocinon infusion has been linked with greater risk of rupture.  I am a bit restrictive with the women I care for... "Go into labour spontaneously, labour & birth."  Otherwise have a repeat C/S. It helps their resolve too.   There is too much research data pointing to inductions and augmentations increasing the risks of rupture for me to be comfortable with it. MM

I think once we switched to lower dose epidural medication it became acceptable to combine epidurals with VBAC, even with Sytocinon infusion
Kirsten

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, February 29, 2004 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] VBAC/ twins/lotus

The last few places I have worked also used epidurals with VBAC. Just need to monitor properly. In the old days they said an epidural could not be used as the woman would not have the pain cues to impending uterine rupture. At least that is what I was told.
Cheers
Judy

mh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Where I work, twins are encouraged but not forced to have epidurals and EDB is used liberally whether VBAC or not... I remember when I was a student (>20yrs) they were thingy about EDB in VBAC but not for at least the past 15 years- no increase in rupture etc. What is the reason for limiting them in VBAC? Just out of curiosity.

As our policy is VBAC regardless of mothers wishes, in such a case we would plan an attempt at least for a labour at term, especially after a previous normal birth.
Monica