Thanks Marilyn. You always have such great balance of intellect and heart.

Love Sally

“Midwives Catch The Essence of Joy”

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Marilyn Kleidon
Sent: Monday, 31 May 2004 11:38 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] caesarean section

MIchelle:

I would urge you to go actually read the case studies around these maternal mortality stats. The studies are also on the web site, at least they were because I downloaded them a couple of years ago. What I found/interpreted were many very ill women with various cardiovascular disorders plus women with rapidly escalating pre-eclampsi/eclampsia and one immediate postpartum eclamptic seizure (after an NVB and early d/c). For most of the women who died it would seem to me that caesarean birth was their only option for surviving childbirth, in another time they would probably not attempted to conceive.

In thinking about this I have wondered for a while how this increasing maternal mortality is related to the increasing c/s rate, simply because these women were true cases of needing c/s in other words they were definetly not elective c/s nor did any of the cases represent unnecessary c/s, at least not to my mind. I now think there is an indirect link. Perhaps,  in the ether of the promotion of the choice and safety of caesarean birth women who otherwise would have considered themselves too ill to undergo pregnancy and childbirth consider childbearing a possibility and then it becomes a probability.

I am sure there are other possibilities.

marilyn