To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 7:04 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Breastfeeding a premmie baby (very long)

Hi all, hope you can help me with advice for a follow
through woman (i am a commencing 2nd yr Bmid
student)who had her babe by emerg. LSCS at 35 weeks on
22nd December due to PROM + active labour, baby
footling breech. Babe was 2490 grams at birth but had
pretty bad RDS and spent a week in NICU requiring
heaps of oxygen support. All's well now, and mum has
marvellous milk supply which she would love to give
her baby, BUT!!

The woman has been expressing 8 times in 24 hours and
getting 60-100 mLs per session, babe is being gavage
fed in nursery and is constantly sleepy and not keen
to go on the breast. When the woman requested no dummy
and bottle and to be called when her babe woke to
start establishing demand feeding at breast, staff
immediately became VERY negative, refusing to speak
with her, ignoring requests for assistance etc. She
was told she was 'doing it the hard way' and that if
she refused to allow her baby to be given EBM by
bottle she would end up stuck in hospital for weeks.
She has allowed the baby to be given EBM by bottle and
does feel that breastfeeding is improving but feels
uncomfortable with staff and that she's not being
given the chance to give breastfeeding a good shot. I
have watched her feed and when alert the baby feeds
well, the woman's attachment technique is great and
they are a great unit. I have four of my own, all
extended breastfed so I feel confident in supporting
her breastfeeding but am lost with these nursery
protocols. One midwife told her that nipple confusion
was 'crap' and that without bottle feeding as
transition her baby would take much longer
'graduating' to the breast. Every core of my being
screams out that these people are WRONG but i'm not
sure where the best evidence lies. My Maye's Midwifery
supports the idea of demand feeding premmies and
avoiding nipple confusion but the info is a little
light for my liking. What do you all think? This woman
has been told to expect her baby to be in hospital
until she's term but she's desperate to get her home
ASAP. Any advice would be wonderful, regards, miriam

http://au.movies.yahoo.com