The birth centre where I work offers midwife care throughout antenatal, intrapartum and post natal. We encourage non-drug use in labour, but do have gas and morphine. These are NEVER offered,  and not given on first ask.  It is between the midwife the woman and her supports when drugs are used, the vast majority do not even think about it.  Nitros does not affect her choice for a water birth, but morphine does, she can labour in water.  Iv therapy can be given to rehydrate if necessary, and ceased once a litre has been given. We have research based policies, and are therefore more liberal than delivery suite.  eg 48 hours RM, 42 weeks before induction, trans. to DS.   No CTGs. Physiological 3rd stage except for previous pph and 'at risk' such as prolonged second stage.  We inundate our clients with info, pros and cons, and encourage them to do their own research.  They are usually home in 24hrs.  We are no longer doing VBACs, due to obest. intervention..           Maureen
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]On Behalf Of diane
Sent: Saturday, 15 January 2005 12:05 AM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: [ozmidwifery] Birth Centre

Ok, ive outed myself now,
I have been lurking on this list, drawing upon the wisdom of all you beautiful, passionate women, for some time now and I finally have a question.
What is the accepted Australian definition of a "Birth Centre"? Is there one?
Our midwifery led, low risk unit offers team midwifery and hopefully soon, caseload care. Our brand new unit is linked closely to the maternity ward where we have only postnatal care.
We have obstetricians available on call, and they have the ability to perform an emergency c/s if needed.
We would love to call our new unit, with it's big baths in all three birthing rooms, a birth centre as this would help to demedicalise the concept and help us bring our midwifery services to the local women and the community.
Any thoughts?

Di.