Sent: Friday, February 11, 2005 7:23 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Camden Rally

Hi Sonja
I'm unable to get there tomorrow but one of my clients (very pregnant) is going .. Jodie Dearsly plus 2 girls + bump
Lynne Gross may also go, but I haven't heard back from her.
I hope the rally is a rip,roaring success ... I
've been listening to this evening's news while doing my email and they are making it sound that it is very poor management to have births spread over two campuses -- bad management for who? This is all part of the plan for 'streamlining' maternity services across the state and have ALL women birth in 'centres of excellence' and then trapus back to a postnatal unit nearer to their homes. I heard Professor Dwyer on this one at a talk he gave at Royal North Shore Hospital ... although I publicly protested about the inevitable labour complications that occur when you remove women from all their support systems (and their carer) to give birth not one midwife at the meeting (and they were there from all over the state) backed me up.

I hope the message gets across loud and clear tomorrow that healthy women do not need doctors to give birth ... and women prefer continuity of care from their midwives when they are preparing for normal births without drugs etc etc.
There is an adequate ambulance service to transfer any mother or baby should unexpected complications occur. It would take no longer for a woman to get from Camden to Campbelltown by ambulance than it would for her to get to Campletown from her own home.

All the best
Jan
Jan Robinson Independent Midwife Practitioner
National Coordinator Australian Society of Independent Midwives
8 Robin Crescent South Hurstville NSW 2221 Phone/Fax: 02 9546 4350
e-mail address: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> website: www.midwiferyeducation.com.au