To: <ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au>
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 2:24 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] MORE ACTIVE MANGAEMENT

Jenny:

I know that  what you say is Australian practice and if i were attending
homebirths here I would always transfer rather than do a manual removal of
either a partially detached placenta or retained products however it
wasn't
considered outside of a midwife's scope of practice in the USA where I
practised (california and washington state), in fact  it was required by
state law that i be capable of carrying out this procedure. The exact
procedure is detailed in Varney's Midwifery third edition, p. 843, Chap
68.
Most certaily considered part of the midwife's scope of practice. I would
suggest that any birth attendant practicing in an out of hospital  setting
should at least know what to do and have practiced the procedure just in
case which is what Sue was saying is her situation. I have never actually
done the procedure myself but was knowledgeable of it, tested on it with
simulation (as it is NOT something you practice on someone) and aware when
it is necessary. Definetely quite different than removing a placenta
trapped
in the vaginal vault, the os, or lower segment.

marilyn

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jenny Cameron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>