This has been a really interesting discussion, and it's prompted me to think about the kinds of information we give to women, and when we start to assume the role of educator, overseer, teacher, one of authority, or whether we maintain the role of facilitator, and how that has an effect on women's confidence with early parenting.  Interestingly in independent practice, I have no recollection of either showing women how to bath their baby, or of women asking me to show them.  I wonder if this is to do with the relationship, or with the implied inference that the women will take on that task, or responsibility themselves, or if it is just because I'm not normally there when they decide to bath their baby for the first time.  I don't know, and I mean no disrespect with this post, just random thoughts.

I suppose the first bath is something we see as innocuous, educational, a chance to give information, and yet, maybe it's an opportunity to stand by and just give lots of positive reinforcement about how sensible the parents are, and how they don't need us to show them how to bath/change/feed their baby, but to know that we're around for support if they need it.  I think I'd be mortified if someone implied I couldn't bath my own baby - what else might I not have the resources/ability/confidence to do??!!!  (of course, different if the woman has had a difficult birth...)

Sorry for the ramble, just wanted to add...

Tania
Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 5:39 PM
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] newborn bath

I work in an area with policies on how to conduct a normal birth.  Even an inservice coming up on "How to conduct a normal delivery!"   This is hysterical, admittedly I will not be attending.  To make it even better the "midwife" conducting the inservice believes that any babies born not on the bed will die!!!!  Her exact words were " you need to tell that woman that her baby will die if it is not delivered on the bed".  If I hadn't been so shocked I would have said something along the lines of mothers birth their babies and midwives assist them, no babies are delivered.  All the storks that used to deliver babies seem to have moved on to something else.
Sonja