Dear Jo and Anne,

It appears what is being proposed is one list is for consumers (MC) and one for midwives.

I would agree however that as a midwife and midwifery activist such a dialogue as proposed by Anne is great to have.
However the mediums for this dialogue I beleive already exist and perhaps are not been utilised to their potential yet.

For example the Maternity Coalition Midwives list is one list where caseload midwives support each other and have been for a few years.  The midwives also work collaboratively with women and co-produce the Maternity Coalition newsletter Birth Matters which many of the issues experienced by midwives and consumers are explored.  If you have not seen the newsletter I urge you to visit the MC website  www.maternitycoalition.org.au

For any midwife wanting to join the MC Midwives list please email the moderator Joy Johnston at   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Finally another organisation which has supported women who have practiced caseload in Australia for nearly twenty years, is the Australian Society of Independent Midwives.  The ACMI have state and national branches and can be contacted by emailing Jan Robinson at  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I also agree with previous comments made that another existing medium to consider utilising more is our national midwives organisation, the ACMI.  As the journey of every midwife to be able to practice competently in every setting is now finally becoming a reality in Australia, we need to be more supportive of our college to implement the strategies for national progress in midwifery.  That is all midwives will have to be or become competent in caseload practice, and to be able to practice in the setting of the woman's choice, whether it be home, birth centre, free standing unit, a cmp etc.

I am concerned that the dialogue you propose Anne is reinventing the wheel to some degree, yet is essential to all midwives and therefore needed on a broader scale. And perhaps should be advertised through the ACMI journal as well as the national consumer organisation, Maternity Coalition as a first step.  That is do we need another list and newsletter medium etc to have this dialogue and support for caseload midwives ?

It is vital at a time when Australian midwives are seeing reforms in midwifery scope of practice, competency standards (slowly but surely catching up with the rest of the globe as per the ICM defn's), consumer led activism where polllies are starting to listen to what women want, that we ensure all midwives have access to this information.

This is particularly important for midwives who fear these changes and are therefore resistant to practice caseload models.  I believe that we must be thoughtful in the way such a dialoge is maintained.  A positive step forward I believe is for us to have dialogue first about how to progress with the support options that exist, before implementing new ones.

Thank you for putting the issues out there...

Kind Regards

Sally-Anne Brown